Mackerel and fennel salad
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 30mins
- Cook: 0mins
This is a really tasty salad combining great tastes of mackerel and fennel.
- 675g (1 1/2lb) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs
- a bunch of spring onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 peppered smoked mackerel fillets
- a dash of vinegar
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- salad leaves, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for minutes or until just tender. Drain in a colander and rinse in cold water until cool. Leave to drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the fennel and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring until pale golden. Remove from heat.
- Place the spring onions, yoghurt and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl and mix with a fork. Add the potatoes and fennel. Break the mackerel into chunks, discarding the skin and bones. Add to the bowl and toss together lightly.
- Fill a large frying pan with salted water, add the vinegar and bring to the boil. Poach the eggs in the simmering water for 3-5 minutes until cooked to your liking.
- Have a bowl of cold water ready. Use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs from the pan and place them in the cold water. Leave for 1 minute and then drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, arrange a few salad leaves on four plates, top with potato and mackerel salad and place a poached egg on top
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: