Garlic & mushroom bruschetta
Quick and easy to prepare this brushetta recipe makes an excellent starter when you're entertaining.
- 6ml / 1/2tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 225g/8oz button mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsp dry white wine (or water)
- 1 (200g) pot half fat crème frâiche
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- a dash of vinegar
- snipped fresh chives to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2-3mins or until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3mins or until the juices have come out of the mushrooms.
- Increase the heat, add the wine, (or water) and cook over a high heat until the liquid has evaporated. Season well, then stir in the crème frâiche. Gently reheat until hot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large frying pan of salted water to the boil. Add the vinegar. Carefully crack the each of the eggs into a saucer, then tip gently into the simmering water. Cook for 3-4mins or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Lift from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Lightly toast the bread, then top with the mushroom mixture. Place a poached egg on top and serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.