Pesto, spring greens & egg pasta
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 20mins
This flavourful pasta dish will be a hit with everyone – plus it’s a great (and quick and easy) way to enjoy your veg, fresh or frozen
- 20g unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g spring greens or spinach, finely shredded
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 120g crème fraîche
- 200g fresh pesto
- 400g fresh tagliatelle pasta
- 4 British Lion eggs
- small bunch of basil, roughly chopped
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add the leeks and fry on a medium heat for about 5-10 mins until softened.
2. Add the garlic, spring greens or spinach, and lemon zest and juice, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Turn the heat up and add a splash of water, then cook until the greens reduce. Turn the heat down, then stir in the crème fraîche and two thirds of the pesto, then season to taste again and turn off the heat.
3. Add the fresh pasta to the pan of boiling water and cook for 2-3 mins until al dente. Scoop out the pasta with a slotted spoon, then stir into the crème fraiche mixture along with 100-200ml pasta water (enough to make the sauce to your preferred consistency).
4. Bring the water back up to a simmer, then swirl to create a whirlpool effect. Crack in 2 eggs at a time. Gently poach for 2-3 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon and rest on kitchen towel. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
5. Season the pasta to taste, toss the basil through and divide between four serving bowls. Top each bowl with a poached egg and drizzle each with a little of the reserved pesto. Serve immediately.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Salmon with poached egg and spinach
This quick and easy salmon and poached egg recipe is packed with protein and great natural nutrition - the...
MOB Kitchen's anchovy and caper carbonara
A new take on carbonara using British Lion eggs, a zesty lemon, parmesan and mixed with a base of...
Japanese Rice Bowl
A classic rice and chicken dish with a Japanese twist. Slowly cooked chicken makes it sing!
Black pudding with a poached egg
Looking for something different to start off your day? Why not try creating your own version of the breakfast...