Savoury crème brûlée
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 35mins
This savoury crème brûlée makes an elegant brunch dish or an impressive starter for dinner party entertaining.
- 100ml/3.5floz milk
- 150ml/1/4pt double cream
- 1 large British Lion eggs and 2 large British Lion egg yolks
- 50g/2oz asparagus tips, cut into 5cm/2in lengths
- 15g/1/2oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Fan 150F/Gas Mark 3. Heat the milk and cream together in a small pan until almost boiling. Beat the egg and egg yolks together with seasoning. Pour the hot milk on to the eggs and mix well.
- Divide the asparagus between four 175ml/6floz ramekin dishes then pour over the egg mixture. Stand the dishes in a roasting tin and pour boiling water from the kettle to come half way up the outside of the dishes. Bake for 25-30mins or until just set.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and sprinkle the cheese into four 6/7cm, 3/4in rounds. Bake for 6-8mins until golden brown – the cheese will melt and spread to make lacy wafers. Leave to cool slightly.
- To serve, remove the brulees from the oven and cool for 5 mins. Serve topped with the parmesan crisps with toast fingers.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Low calorie baked eggs with roasted Mediterranean vegetables
This high-protein dish is an excellent way of getting at least 2 of an athlete’s 5 a day fruit...
Spanish-style sweet potato, mushroom and feta tortilla
A twist on the classic Spanish recipe.