Tom Daley's Japanese Souffle Pancakes
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 10mins
These Japanese souffle pancakes are a great alternative to a traditional pancake recipe, if you’re looking to mix up your pancakes this Shrove Tuesday!
- 2 large British Lion eggs, separated
- 65g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 50g golden caster sugar
- oil, for greasing
- maple syrup, to serve
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, plain flour, baking powder, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff using an electric hand whisk, then gradually add the sugar, whisking continuously, until the egg whites are stiff again.
3. Take a large spoonful of the egg whites and add to the yolk mixture. Fold gently to combine. Repeat with the remaining egg white mixture, in batches, folding it in gently and trying to knock out as little air as possible.
4. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over low heat until hot. Place four crumpet rings (around 8cm in diameter, 3cm high) into the pan and oil the inside of the rings and base of the pan with a little oil. Fill the rings 3/4 full with batter, and cover the pan with a lid. Leave to cook for 6 minutes on one side, before carefully flipping over, using a spatula. Cook for a further 4 minutes on the other side.
5. Remove the pancakes from the rings and divide between 2 plates. Drizzle with maple syrup before serving.
See also: How to make pancakes - our easy to follow step by step recipe.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Tom Daley's Huevos Rancheros
This is one of my favourite brunch recipes, it reminds me of when I first met Lance and our...
Smoked mackerel scrambled eggs
A deliciously different recipe. Quick and easy to prepare, this scramble makes a perfect brunch or lunch.
Tom Daley’s Spinach, Egg and Chorizo Skillet
This spinach, egg and chorizo skillet is ideal if you’re looking for a protein packed breakfast or brunch dish...