- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 25mins
Economical, tasty and easy to prepare. There’s no need to peel the butternut squash - the skin becomes soft enough to eat during cooking. Just give it a good wash before you start.
- 30ml/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2.5cm piece root ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 350g/12oz butternut squash, deseeded and diced
- 30ml/2tbsp medium curry paste
- 175g/6oz basmati rice
- 100g/4oz red lentils
- 75g/3oz raisins
- 900ml/1 1/2pt vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 45g/3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and sauté for 4-5mins or until golden. Stir in the ginger, garlic and butternut squash and sauté for 2mins.
- Add the curry paste, rice, lentils, raisins and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15mins or until the squash and rice are tender.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 7mins. Drain the eggs, then rinse in cold water. Tap the shells all over and peel away. Cut the eggs into quarters.
- Remove the lid from the rice and give it a good stir - most of the liquid should have been absorbed by the rice. Adjust the seasoning, stir in the coriander and eggs. Cover again for 1-2mins to heat through the eggs before serving.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Egg and broccoli pasta
This recipe is fantastic value at less than £1 per portion. Not only that but it is also deliciously...
Annabel Karmel's egg fried rice with chicken
Young cooks will love this recipe for egg fried rice with chicken and sweetcorn.
Egg fried rice with chicken and sweetcorn
Entertain your friends with your Chinese cookery skills and give them a healthy option compared with the takeaway version.
Healthy mid week Chinese-style egg rice stir-fry
A great stir-fry recipe.