Avocado breakfast tacos
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 15mins
Who says you can’t have tacos for breakfast?! If you’re looking for something a little different to start your day with, have a go at making these breakfast tacos with eggs, avocado, mushrooms and onions. Trust us, you’ll love ‘em.
- 50g butter, plus a knob for the mushrooms
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 2 tbsp double cream or milk
- 100g small mushrooms, cleaned
- 6 tbsp soured cream
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and diced
- 4 tbsp crispy fried shallots or onions
- 1 quantity green sauce
- 1 quantity tacos (or use 8 small store-bought corn tortillas)
- for the tacos…
- 75g fine cornmeal (or masa harina)
- 75g plain flour
- 100ml water
- Pinch of salt
- for the green sauce…
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- Heat a cast iron frying pan or griddle pan until hot.
- Mix the taco ingredients together to form a firm but pliable dough. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured sheet of baking parchment until 3mm thick. Cut out discs with a 9-10cm pastry cutter. Brush each with oil and cook on both sides in the hot pan for 1 minute until they turn a deep golden colour. Keep warm in a clean tea towel.
- For the eggs, heat a saucepan on a low heat and add the butter. In a bowl beat eggs and cream. Add the egg mixture to the butter and cook gently, stirring until just cooked but still loose. Season and take off the heat.
- In a frying pan cook the mushrooms in a knob of butter over a high heat and season to taste. Pound the garlic and the coriander into a paste in a pestle and mortar, then add the lime juice and mix well.
- Load the taco up with a little egg, some mushrooms and avocado and top with soured cream, green sauce and crispy shallots.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Soft scrambled eggs
As long as you are ready with your plates and accompaniments, before you begin scrambling your eggs, you will...
Tom Daley’s bubble and squeak stack
Bubble and Squeak is a fantastic way to use leftover vegetables from Sunday lunch, making it a fantastic option...