Avocado breakfast tacos
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 15mins
Who says you can’t have tacos for breakfast?! If you’re looking for something a little different to start your day with, have a go at making these breakfast tacos with eggs, avocado, mushrooms and onions. Trust us, you’ll love ‘em.
- 50g butter, plus a knob for the mushrooms
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 2 tbsp double cream or milk
- 100g small mushrooms, cleaned
- 6 tbsp soured cream
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and diced
- 4 tbsp crispy fried shallots or onions
- 1 quantity green sauce
- 1 quantity tacos (or use 8 small store-bought corn tortillas)
- for the tacos…
- 75g fine cornmeal (or masa harina)
- 75g plain flour
- 100ml water
- Pinch of salt
- for the green sauce…
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- Heat a cast iron frying pan or griddle pan until hot.
- Mix the taco ingredients together to form a firm but pliable dough. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured sheet of baking parchment until 3mm thick. Cut out discs with a 9-10cm pastry cutter. Brush each with oil and cook on both sides in the hot pan for 1 minute until they turn a deep golden colour. Keep warm in a clean tea towel.
- For the eggs, heat a saucepan on a low heat and add the butter. In a bowl beat eggs and cream. Add the egg mixture to the butter and cook gently, stirring until just cooked but still loose. Season and take off the heat.
- In a frying pan cook the mushrooms in a knob of butter over a high heat and season to taste. Pound the garlic and the coriander into a paste in a pestle and mortar, then add the lime juice and mix well.
- Load the taco up with a little egg, some mushrooms and avocado and top with soured cream, green sauce and crispy shallots.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: