Falafel Scotch eggs
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 25mins
- 6 British Lion eggs
- A dash of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 (400g) cans of chickpeas
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 150g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat a small frying pan, add the oil, onion and garlic and fry for 4 minutes until soft. Add the spices (ground cumin, ground coriander and chilli flakes) and cook for 30 seconds.
- Tip the onions into a food processor with the drained chickpeas, fresh coriander, half the breadcrumbs and one egg. Blitz until a rough paste forms.
- To boil the eggs, place them in a small pan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt and place the pan on a high heat. When the water is almost boiling, gently stir the eggs and boil for 7 minutes.
- Drain the eggs, cool them under cold running water. When cool enough to handle, tap the shells all over and peel away. Cool.
- Divide the chickpea mixture into four. Flatten a quarter of the mixture in your hand, place an egg in the middle, and then wrap it around the egg, firming it to make a neat oval shape. Repeat with the other eggs.
- Scatter the remaining breadcrumbs on a plate with the sesame seeds. Beat the remaining egg then pour into a shallow dish. Dust the boiled eggs with a little flour; roll in the beaten egg, then the breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
You can deep-fry or bake the eggs
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 170C, then add the eggs two at a time and fry for 5 minutes, turning until golden all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
To oven bake:
- Brush the eggs with olive oil and place in a baking tray.
- Bake at 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6, until golden and crisp, turn half way through cooking.
Serve the eggs warm or cold with salad leaves.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A warm salad perfect for summer eating.
Beetroot Steeped Wasabi Eggs
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 1 hour chilling time)
An impressive salad which is healthy and tasty.