Gizzi Erskine's huevos rancheros
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 0mins
- Cook: 10mins
Gizzi says: "One of my favourite brunch recipes must be huevos rancheros, the classic Mexican dish of corn tortillas with a spicy tomato sauce, fried eggs and avocado."
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- a splash red wine vinegar
- a good handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g can refried beans
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 2-3 tablespoons light olive or vegetable oil
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 1 avocado, finely chopped
- Chilli sauce to serve
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add in the garlic and chilli and stir fry for 1 minute or until the garlic starts to soften and go golden. Add in the tomatoes, purée, red wine vinegar and half of the coriander and over a medium high heat cook for 9 minutes, then season to taste.
- Heat up the refried beans in a small saucepan. Heat a frying pan and toast the corn tortillas in them for 20-30 seconds on each side and lay two on each plate. When toasted put the oil in the pan and fry the eggs (Gizzi uses free range) for 1-2 minutes, basting the yolks with the hot oil as you go.
- Spread a spoonful of the refried beans on the two tortillas, then dollop on two spoons of tomato sauce on top. Top each plate with two fried eggs, some avocado and the rest of the coriander. Finish with a drizzle of chilli sauce.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Gizzi Erskine's boiled eggs and asparagus spears
Gizzi says: "For perfect boiled eggs it’s all in the timing. My best tip for gloriously gooey yolks is...
Gizzi Erskine's cheat's croque madame
Gizzi says: "For a continental twist on lunch try a croque madame and transport yourself to Paris in the...