Hot cross buns with cherry & walnut
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 20mins
A variation of this classic Easter recipe, which will impress.
- 1 (500g) sachet premium white bread mix
- grated zest 1 lemon
- 10ml/ 2 tsp caster sugar
- 10ml/ 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 150ml/ 1/4pt warm milk
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 25g/ 1oz butter, melted
- 75g/ 3oz currants
- 75g/ 3oz glace cherries, quartered
- 50g/ 2oz walnut pieces, chopped
- a little milk to glaze
- 60ml/ 4 tbsp plain flour
- 30ml/ 2 tbsp clear honey
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Fan 200C/425F/Gas Mark 7. Empty the bread mix into a large bowl add the lemon zest, sugar and spice. Place the milk in a measuring jug, add the eggs and beat well. Make up to 300ml/ ½ pt with warm water. Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients with the butter, currants, cherries and walnuts and mix well. Knead on a floured surface for 5 mins or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Leave to rest for 5 mins.
- Knead for 2 mins then divide into twelve pieces. Shape each piece into a flattish round and place on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little milk. Cut a cross in the centre of each and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Mix the flour to a smooth paste with about 45ml/3tbsp cold water, then pipe into the crosses formed on top of the buns. Bake for 20 - 25minutes or until golden brown. Remove the buns from the oven and immediately brush with the honey. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack. Serve warm with butter.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Orange, pecan & maple syrup pancakes
Pancakes with orange, pecan & maple syrup recipe
Gizzi Erskine's marmalade and cointreau soufflé omelette
Gizzi says: " A soufflé omelette is a great way to get started with soufflés before attempting the ‘real’...
Fennel bread and butter pudding
Bread & butter pudding with ginger custard.
Soufflé omelette, quark cream & berries
Soufflé omelette, with quark cream and berries with only 273 calories per portion is a quick and easy dessert