How to make an omelette
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 2mins
- Cook: 2mins
Healthy, quick and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, omelettes are one of the most popular and versatile dishes out there. Omelette recipes can be as simple or extravagant as you want, and with just a couple of eggs and a pinch of salt you can whip up a tasty meal in minutes, or add your own personal flair with a whole range of filling ingredients.
The best part is anyone can make them! Omelettes are the perfect recipe for a quick and easy meal that can be enjoyed by the whole family, from kids and babies to expectant mothers. So whether you’re a professional chef or a kitchen beginner, creating nutritious and delicious omelette dishes really is no effort and you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time at all.
So, how do you make the perfect omelette? We have you covered! Simply follow the steps below to create a fluffy and light basic omelette, and once you’ve mastered that, try out one of our amazing recipes. or experiment with your own creations.From a simple but filling tomato and basil omelette for babies, to a deliciously fiery chilli cheese and jalapeño omelette, we have a recipe for every occasion.
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cold water
- Dash of oil
Seven simple steps to omelette perfection!
- Take your eggs and crack them into a bowl – don’t put them directly into the pan as you need to mix them first!
- Add a teaspoon of water and a pinch of salt and pepper before whisking with a fork until the white and the yolk are fully blended.
- Bring your pan to a high heat and add oil so that the mixture doesn’t stick.
- Pour in your mixture and cook on a high heat for two minutes, making sure that mixture is spread out evenly.
- As the egg begins to set, use a spatula to push the set egg towards the omelette centre.
- Cook the set omelette for another minute, then loosen the edges with a spatula and fold the omelette in half.
- Tilt the pan and slide the omelette onto a warm plate and serve immediately on its own or with a crisp green salad.
Ideas for fillings!
- Your favourite cheese.
- Pre-cooked meats such as Parma ham or chorizo.
- Vegetables – For example, onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomato, fresh herbs.
- Seafood such as prawns, smoked salmon.
And there you have it; the perfect omelette! Once you master the technique, check out our other great omelette recipes and discover a range of varied and exciting meal ideas.
Omelettes follow a simple method with a delicious outcome, but there are plenty of ways you can tweak the recipe and make your dish even better!
When you’re looking to create the perfect omelette, you’ll need to bear in mind the size of your pan. A large pan could cause the omelette to spread too thinly which is more prone to overcooking, while a small pan could make the omelette too spongy and thick to fold. Sticking to a regular pan (around 22cm) should help you create the right texture and depth for a two-egg omelette.
If you’re looking to include omelettes as a regular fixture in your meals throughout the week then there are a number of ways you can make the cooking process even quicker. Removing your eggs from the fridge and allowing them to reach room temperature will see your omelette form in the pan quicker. Elsewhere, make sure your fillings and ingredients are prepared and ready to go before cooking. If you’re making a breakfast omelette, you could prepare all your ingredients the night before so you can blitz through the process when you wake up.
There is an abundance of omelette fillings to choose from - the ham, tomato and cheese omelette is a classic choice, but there are plenty of other adventurous options. The basic omelette setup accommodates a number of different world cuisines such as stir-fry ingredients, Spanish flavours and Indian spices. Use these tips and you’ll make the perfect omelette every time.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: