Low calorie egg and watercress focaccia
This sandwich makes an ideal pre-exercise meal due to its high content of carbohydrate and protein (from the egg). The protein helps lower the GI of the meal, which will produce longer-lasting energy. The watercress is rich in iron and folic acid, important for healthy red blood cells and oxygen delivery around the body. Low fat mayonnaise is a good source of monounsaturated fats, which aids aerobic metabolism during exercise.
- 1 large British Lion egg
- 1 tablespoon/15ml low-fat mayonnaise
- Handful of watercress chopped (approx 25g)
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x 2.5cm (1 in) slices rosemary Focaccia bread (approx 75g)
- Butter for spreading (optional)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Lower in the egg and cook for 5 - 6min for medium-boiled.
- Remove the egg from the pan with a large spoon, peel and place in a bowl with the mayonnaise, watercress, mustard and freshly ground black pepper. Mash with a fork.
- Meanwhile, toast the Focaccia on both sides under a hot grill, then spread with butter (optional). Place 1 heaped teaspoon of the egg mixture on each toast round and finish with freshly ground black pepper.