Low calorie vegetable fried rice with basil and egg
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 20mins
- 175g wild and basmati rice mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 courgette, trimmed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice in a small pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes or according to packet instructions. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan add the onion, pepper and courgettes and saute over a high heat for 4 minutes or until tender and golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Beat the eggs with salt and pepper, then pour into the pan and cook, stirring until the eggs have set and form lumps, stir well breaking up with the wooden spoon.
- Place the rice in a large bowl, add the vegetables, eggs, basil and tomatoes and mix well. Season to taste with a little salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Serve warm as a supper dish or cool and serve as a packed lunch or picnic salad.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: