A British classic - perfect for picnics or a satifying snack.
- 12 medium British Lion eggs
- 750ml (1 1⁄2 pints) distilled vinegar or white wine/cider vinegar for a less dominant flavour
- 2 large mild chillies, sliced lengthways
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 25g piece root ginger, sliced
- 2 tbsp Szechuan or black peppercorns
- Hard-boil medium British Lion eggs for 6 minutes and shell.
- Bring vinegar to a boil in a saucepan, add chilli, shallots, ginger and peppercorns, return to the boil and remove immediately from the heat. Allow to cool completely.
- Pack eggs into one large Kilner or screwtop jar or several smaller ones. Pour cooled spiced vinegar onto eggs to cover completely.
- Cover jar tightly and store for 4 weeks or longer before use.
Pickled eggs can be served with bread and cheese, salads, cooked meats, smoked fish or as a snack.
For a traditional pickled egg, use 25g pickling spice and a blade of mace, simmered in the vinegar for 30 minutes, strained and cooled.