New style Great British breakfast
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 10mins
- 2 British Lion eggs
- 2 large open mushrooms
- A little sunflower oil
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 1 ripe avocado
- A dash of Tabasco
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Preheat the grill to high. Brush the mushrooms on all sides with the oil then place gill side up on the grill rack and season. Place the tomatoes cut side up, and the bacon rashers alongside the mushrooms. Pop under the grill and cook for 8 minutes, turning the bacon until crisp on both sides. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, halve and stone the avocado and scoop the flesh into a bowl, mash with a fork then add Tabasco, lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
- Heat a small, non-stick frying pan and add a little oil, then carefully crack in the eggs, one at a time. Cook over a medium heat until the white has set. Tilt the pan slightly, and then use a teaspoon to scoop the surplus hot oil over the top of the egg until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
- Put the bread in a toaster or under the grill, and cook until golden brown on both sides. Spread the toast with the avocado, and place on 2 warm plates. Top with the bacon and egg and serve the mushrooms and tomatoes alongside.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Hot Crossed Bacon and Egg Buns
A new twist on the classic hot cross bun.
Veggy breakfast sizzle
A quick and easy breakfast recipe that's a real treat.
Annabel Karmel's hearty breakfast
This heart-shaped egg would make a fun surprise breakfast for mum or dad and only takes a few minutes...