Cheese & bacon eggy bread bake
- Serves: 6
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 50mins
Make your next meal something extra special by trying our cheese and bacon eggy bread bake, a quick and easy meal made with three different cheeses.
- 8 rashers of smoky bacon, cut into pieces
- 10 slices of thick white bread, crusts removed
- 30g butter, softened (approx, to to butter the bread and grease dish)
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsps chopped chives
- 3 tbsps chopped parsley
- 8 British Lion eggs
- 600ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g Emmental cheese, grated
- 30g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3/160C/320F.
- Grease the base and sides of the baking dish.
- Dry fry the bacon in a frying pan for a couple of minutes until just cooked; set to one side.
- Butter the slices of bread; set to one side.
- Mix the spring onions and chopped fresh herbs in a bowl; set to one side.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, dried herbs, salt and pepper in a jug; set to one side.
- Mix the cheeses together in a bowl; set to one side.
- Place a layer of bread on the base of the dish - you may have to cut some slices to fit. Pour about a third of the egg/milk mixture on top, pressing the bread to soak it up.
- Sprinkle one third of the herb and cheese mix and one half of the bacon over this bread layer.
- Add another layer of bread, and repeat the process in step 8.
- Place a final layer of bread and pour over the remaining egg mixture, pressing the bread down so that the liquid is soaked up. Sprinkle the remaining herbs and cheese over the top and cover with foil.
- Place the baking dish onto a baking tray and put into the oven for 40 minutes. After that time, remove the foil and cook for a further 10 - 20 minutes until the egg has set (test this by inserting a knife into the centre - it should come out clean) and the top is puffed and golden.
- Cut into approximately 12 pieces. This dish can be eaten hot, warm or cold.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Meat doesn’t always have to be the star ingredient in a dish and our vegetable bake proves just that...
To watch top vloggers Crumbs Food cook this recipe click here.
Gizzi Erskine's healthy egg, ham and chips
Gizzi says: "Ham, egg and chips is a classic, but it’s not got a reputation for being healthy. Enter...