- Serves: 3
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 15mins
These Scotch eggs are perfect for summer picnics.
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 6 (1 x 500g pack) good quality sausages
- 60ml/4tbsp milk
- 45ml/3tbsp plain flour
- 100g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil to cook
- 60ml/4tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- 30ml/2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Place 3 eggs in a small pan, cover with boiling water and bring to the boil. Cook for 6 mins. Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise and mustard together and spoon into a small dish.
- Drain the eggs, rinse in cold water, tapping the shells all over. When cool enough to handle, peel away the shells. Heat the oil in a fryer or deep large pan to 160C/325F.
- Meanwhile, use a knife to cut the sausage skins and peel them away. Mix the sausagemeat together and divide into 3. Beat the remaining egg with the milk and place in a shallow dish. Place the flour and breadcrumbs on plates.
- Flatten the sausagemeat, roll the boiled egg in flour then wrap the sausagemeat around the egg to make a neat egg shape. Roll the egg in the flour; dip in the beaten egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat dipping the egg in flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
- Use a slotted spoon to carefully lower the eggs into the hot fat and cook for 8 mins or until the eggs are golden on the outside (it's important that the oil is not too hot, so that the sausagemeat has a chance to cook through). Remove the eggs from the hot fat and drain on kitchen paper. Leave to cool. Serve warm or cold with salad and the mustard mayo.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: