Annabel Karmel's ratatouille omelette
This quick and easy omelette, courtesy of Annabel Karmel, is perfect for the kids. Click here to view a video version of the recipe.
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- Half aubergine, sliced
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- Half red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- A knob of butter
- 4 British Lion eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tomato deseeded and diced
- 30g parmesan, grated
- 30g gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and aubergine and gently fry for 5 to 6 minutes until the aubergine and onion are starting to soften. Add the courgette and pepper and continue to fry for another 5 minutes, turning the vegetables. Add the garlic and fry for one minute. Add the tomatoes and season. Simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are just soft. Add the basil.
- Melt the butter in a small omelette pan. Mix the eggs and milk together and season. Pour into the pan. Smooth the vegetables on top.
- Cook on the hob over a medium heat until the edges are firm but the middle is still slightly runny. Top with the tomato and cheeses.
- Place under a hot grill for about 4 minutes or until lightly golden and the middle is cooked.
- Slide onto a plate. Serve with salad.